Enterprise Master Patient Index (EMPI)
“Powered by the world’s most advanced patient matching algorithm to ensure a validated patient ID across the entire spectrum of your ecosystem”
Across the healthcare continuum, a truly efficient medical ecosystem will require multiple data systems to handle care. Each of these data systems will likely create a unique identifier for every patient it encounters, eventually creating a stream of data where one patient has many (inconsistent) records.
The task of reconciling these disparate identifiers and unifying them under one “master ID” requires an intelligent tool capable of quickly and accurately identifying a single patient from multiple IDs. Dedalus’ X1.V1 EMPI was created for this task.
X1.V1 EMPI uses an industry-disrupting combination of deterministic and probabilistic algorithms to cross-reference demographics from disparate identifiers and quickly determine matching patients. A single Unified Identifier is created and serves as a patient’s sole ID across the ecosystem, being updated constantly with changes made in any participating system.
- Create one master ID per patient, regardless of platform or vendor.
- Remove duplicate IDs from system without removing vital information.
- Vastly improve the quality of analytics by accurately representing population.
- Avoid costly duplicate procedures by having all a patient’s history under one ID
- Increase confidence in critical care situations by ensuring accurate data.
- Achieve greater savings by accurately reporting performance to health authorities.
- Matching Algorithms – X1,V1 EMPI utilizes a combination of deterministic and probabilistic algorithms. The deterministic algorithm runs upon each new insert/update transaction. It cycles over the identifiers supplied by the source systems and queries the database to find exact matches. The probabilistic algorithm runs in near real-time after the transaction is accepted. This algorithm comprises a configurable number of matching rules chained together.
- Historical Data – Records that are deprecated are flagged and kept in X1.V1 EMPI database as history of a certain patient record. X1.V1 EMPI matching algorithm contains an extension that makes use of historicized data for duplicate detection. The extension outputs a similarity score and insight on how the matching took place in a similar fashion to the other matching rules.
- Conflict Resolution – The reconciliation engine is tailored to resolve and match patient information and ID based on the confidence score being higher or lower than the preset threshold. This can be user configured based on the client’s needs of performance, accuracy and habits
- Data Partitioning – X1.V1 EMPI can partition patient data sets that belong to different sources within the same database by means of domain contexts. This effectively prevents organizations that don’t have a data sharing agreement between them from seeing each other’s data. Likewise, the matching algorithms work only with data from the same domain context of the requesting source. Merges are also not propagated across different domain contexts.
- Integrations – X1.V1 EMPI was developed with vendor-neutrality in mind supporting industry-leading standard set of IHE profiles, HL7 interfaces and API, including HL7 FHIR.
- Alerts & Notification – X1V1 EMPI provides instant notification to designated operators of duplications, changes and updates to each patient’s ID based on user preferences.